Possible Project: Image upload with Raspberry Pi

Post your projects here to share with the community and get feedback and help!
Chris_J
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Possible Project: Image upload with Raspberry Pi

Postby Chris_J » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:11 am

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the massively late reply.

I'm afraid I haven't worked out a solution yet. I was being severely hampered by power and data transfer costs but I'm going to start having another bash at it soon so I can try and let you know.

In the meantime, the RPi A+ was released which I believe uses less energy than the B+ I'm currently using so that's probably going to end up being the model I use in production. Although I don't know about a shield for the A+???

Have you been successful at all?

Chris

alancecchini
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby alancecchini » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:55 am

Hi Chris,

I finally got around to purchasing a Raspberry Pi at Christmas and went for the B+ in the end.
I wanted the freedom of the extra ports but to be honest I've have worked almost exclusively on this in headless mode so probably could have got away with an A/A+ model.

To date, I've managed to get it set up with the camera, wireless dongle and motion installed and it's nicely running during daylight hours monitoring my garden for activity.
It's been quite amusing watching the captures back which have been primarily of our neighbour's cats.
Some tweaking is required to avoid false captures during wind and rain. This will be helped if I can set up remote access to allow for adjustments in real time.

I've yet to add the shield for 3G connectivity but hope to get to that at some point. A benefit I have is decent 3G support in Italy where I plan to use it, and the fact they don't charge extra roaming costs so it should be cheap to run data-wise.
My next priority is to try adding notifications of motion captures as tweets rather than email which can be slightly delayed (up to 5 minutes).

I'll update this topic if and when I get anywhere with the shield.

Cheers,

Alan

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Cool. Thanks for the update Alan. Looks like an interesting project... remote triggering for image capture.

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Chris_J

Postby Chris_J » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:36 am

Hi Alan, Chris,

Hah you make it sound so easy which encourages me no end!

I did a bit of a write-up on how I got the motion detection working with the Raspberry Pi: http://www.peaknature.co.uk/blog/build- ... ch-part-1/

I'm a web developer so I have access to some server space so uploading images to there or directly to my website would be wonderful.

This afternoon I managed to get an SMS send successfully which was really cool.

It's now a case of being able to get an image from the pi wrapped up and sent via the Cellv1 to a/my server.

Alerts that something had happened would be brilliant too.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Chris

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:11 pm

I would suggest opening two ssh windows, loading the PPP session, then transferring the picture manually with an SCP or FTP. As soon as you find that works for you, then to programmatically do it with a python script should be a straightforward exercise.

Return to “Community Projects”