Modem disconnect with M2M Sim Card

The SparqEE CELLv1.0 device.
donjohnii
Site Admin

Re: Modem disconnect with M2M Sim Card

Postby donjohnii » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 am

The full installation is different for the 3 versus the other devices. Make sure you've done that and the AMA0 is setup properly.

I think focusing on the Red LED issue is the first sticking point as that needs to be blue/green in order for the system to operate correctly.

http://www.sparqee.com/portfolio/sparqee-shieldrb/

jbatmosphere

Postby jbatmosphere » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:43 am

What I understood from the full initial installation link is the modem needs to be plugged with the usb cable even if we use the UART port.
Did I understand correctly ?

I'm currently downloading the raspberry pi setup for pi3 from the installation guide.

I did some tests with cellular connected to the laptop, I managed to get green led. At some point, the modem disconnected (tty disconnected in dmesg) and the green led turned to red. The green led then reappeared. I think it means the modem was reinitialised. Is this a normal behaviour?

Concerning the raspberry pi setup, with the same modem configuration (AT+CGDCONT), the led stay red. I was wondering if it might be a power supply issue : the main difference between the laptop and raspberry is the USB port type. The laptop has 2 USB3 ports and raspberry 2 USB2 ports.

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:47 am

Could potentially be a supply issue. The usb cable is for power not for data transfer, which is why it has two heads - for peak transfer.

Connecting direcy to the pi is not suggested as its supply isnt sufficient... if you do that you should go to the wall, two laptop ports, or a powered hub then the pi.

Downloading the pi3 instructions is so you set it up correctly with ama0 as the standard pi3 installation wont give you serial access to the uart

Is it typical to reset, no, but over what timeframe? Not being used for 10+ minutes, possibly but I dont think so... shouldnt reset unless you tell it to.

Return to “CELLv1.0”