Modem disconnect with M2M Sim Card

The SparqEE CELLv1.0 device.
jbatmosphere

Modem disconnect with M2M Sim Card

Postby jbatmosphere » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:12 am

Hi,

I try to make CELLv1.0 work with my raspberry. The modem disconnect and reconnect with M2M sim card and it seems that the modem is issueing some AT Command like ATE0+CPMS? and it responds +CPMS :"ME",0,100, "ME",0,100.
It works properly with my mobile sim card.

Did someone already encounter such behaviour ?
Do you know any way to disable those commands issued by the modem ?

Thanks

JB

donjohnii
Site Admin

Re: Modem disconnect with M2M Sim Card

Postby donjohnii » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:12 am

Check out the AT command guide on the CELLv1.0 website, it will help you out with the ATs you're interested in.

It looks as though that command is telling you how many SMSes are in memory. I'm not sure why you would think it's disconnecting with that command - are you using minicom to test?

Are you running a script which is causing that command to pop-up?

jbatmosphere

Postby jbatmosphere » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:51 am

We had a look the AT command guide but we found no help.

Yes we are using minicom, and we can also see the disconnections in the system logfiles (dmesg command)

No there is no script running that send AT Commands (we did the test on 2 different laptops, same behaviour). We guess that the commands are issued by the modem itself (but we don't understand why they are sent on the serial line)

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 am

So what is your setup?

You said you see dmesg info, what information are you seeing there - minicom disconnections?

Is your M2M card activated for SMS and or data?

I've seen wierd behavior if the at+cgdcont isn't set properly. Check out the "troubleshooting" section of the PPP connection.

jbatmosphere

Postby jbatmosphere » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:37 am

The modem (plugged on the shieldRB+ board) is connected to a laptop via USB.

With dmesg, we can see the USB connections/disconnections (see logs below) :
usb 3-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usb 3-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usb 3-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
option1 ttyUSB2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2

Our M2M SIM card allows only data, no SMS nor voice. We guess the issue is strongly linked to that fact because when we try with a standard SIM card (data + voice + SMS) there is no USB disconnection and with the M2M SIM card, there is no USB disconnections if the antenna is not plugged.

We will check out the troubleshooting section concerning at+cgdcont as per your recommandation.

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:57 am

The other com ports when connecting directly to the cellular modem are for debugging and other information, but shouldnt necessarily be used for a production connection, only either the serial connection (which is the ttyAMA0 via the UART) or if ur using the laptop the modem (driver required on some machines, linux should be devTTY1)

So the dmesg is on your laptop, not on the PI and so is minicom.

So are you using the PI for anything at this point?

I dont know that ive seen that behavior, but i also havent looked for it specifically.

Is the connection/disconnection causing issues? As in, if you have a ppp connection setup, does the same behavior happen or if you have the modem connection open, does that behavior still happen? It could just be idling and sleeping...

jbatmosphere

Postby jbatmosphere » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:46 am

Ok, my target is to make cellular (plugged on the shieldRB+ board) work with the PI, but when I use ttyAMA0, I cannot speak to the modem with minicom, it doesn't answer. That's the reason why I used ttyUSB and it's the same behavior on the pi when I use ttyUSB (connections/disconnections).

What is the configuration to make cellular work with PI in using UART interface ? We just need to plugg shieldRB+ board with cellular on the PI ?

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:18 am

So, you just said you haven't been able to talk to the CELLv1.0 using the Raspberry Pi -

Through AMA0 - what version of Pi do you have and did you set it up using the updated procedure for the Pi 3?

Through Serial - did you loop the USB to the Pi, use a Hub, or are you using an external laptop running linux?

If you're trying to use the UART of the Pi, you would want to make sure the status lights are reflected properly. The status lights would give you the best indication if the modem is resetting... is it red, green, or blue and does that vary?

jbatmosphere

Postby jbatmosphere » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:15 am

Through AMA0 - I have PI 3, which procedure are you talking about ?
The led is red

Through Serial - I tried to loop the usb to the pi and to use external laptop running linux
The led is red, but when we have disconnections the led goes off

donjohnii
Site Admin

Postby donjohnii » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 am

So, the first issue is probably the red LED. That means it's not even connecting to the network. If it can't get a connection, it's probably just going to keep trying.

If you've tried the same setup with a different SIM and it works just fine, I would say you need to make sure the SIM is a GSM based SIM and provides data/sms services.

Have you already gotten the setup working with a different SIM? Does the M2M SIM you're testing work in a different device?

jbatmosphere wrote:Through AMA0 - I have PI 3, which procedure are you talking about ?
The led is red

Through Serial - I tried to loop the usb to the pi and to use external laptop running linux
The led is red, but when we have disconnections the led goes off

Return to “CELLv1.0”